Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.


c. 1985

A faded coloured photo of Harpers Cottage.
One time home of Miss Julia Harper.
As this building has two rooms below ground level, two small windows are at that level and two larger ones above.
Louvered windows are to the right added extension of cottage a large eucalypt tree is to the left & smaller trees to the right.
A light pole to the left at the front. The street light holder is made of filigree ironwork.

Historical information

On 31 October 1864 this lot was allotted to James Griffin.
Julia Harper, Rev. Charles Harper's daughter, lived in this cottage before her death in 1889. Julia Harper assisted her father in teaching children at 'Braybrook' and had responsibility for the Sunday School.



Registration number
Item type
Contextual Information

This property was originally Lot S1 Harper Rd and is now listed as 11 Nottingham Road, Toodyay.
Date of construction is 1857. It is listed on the Shire of Toodyay Municipal Inventory as place number 74 where it is described as a single storey brick property with a stone cellar and red iron hipped roof. The windows are multi‐paned timber windows. There is a single storey extension of brick with iron gablet and hipped roof. The brickwork to the extension is of recycled brick that retains remnants of previous paintwork and a verandah partially encloses the lower section.

c. 1985
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)