JULIA HARPER'S COTTAGE, TOODYAY
A faded coloured photo taken from up behind Harper Cottage, in Nottingham Street, looking over the railway line to the Newcastle Bridge & two houses beyond on Telegraph Road.
Large trees are to the right & left of the cottage.
Avon River is seen under the bridge.
House is of red brick, with a red painted iron roof, with tall chimney in rear wall.
Cleared paddock in bottom left.
A single storey brick property with a stone cellar and red iron hipped roof, built in 1857. The windows are multi‐paned timber windows. There is a single storey extension of brick with iron gablet and hipped roof.
The brickwork to the extension is of recycled brick that retains remnants of previous paintwork and a verandah partially encloses the lower section.
The first known occupants of this cottage were Enrolled Pensioner Guard (PG) James Griffin and his wife Bridget Teresa Connell and their children. The Griffins arrived on the convict ship Clara in 1857. By 1856,13 Pensioner Guard Cottages had been erected on allotments marked out at the second site of the Convict Hiring Depot upstream of the original Toodyay townsite. The Griffins had moved to Toodyay by 1857, as their subsequent children were either christened or buried there. James Griffin was applying for land in the district. In October 1860 this new location became the town of Newcastle. In October 1864, James Griffin was allocated Pensioner Guard Lot S1 of 4 acres in Newcastle. It could be assumed the cottage already existed on Nottingham Road and Griffin and his family had been living there before he became the official owner in October 1866. Later that year this four-acre allotment was sold to
Joseph Hardey and his wife Anne, who lived on Peninsular Farm on the Swan River. In August 1869 they sold Lot S1 to Reverend Charles Harper who lived with his family in the Parsonage ‘Braybrook’ on nearby Location 111 on the Avon River. When Harper died in 1872 his wife Julia Gretchen (not their daughter Julia as previously believed) became the owner of Lot S1. In 1885 the cottage was rented out to local doctor Alfred Green who had been living at the Depot. He continued to live in the Nottingham Road cottage until at least 1892.
Following the deaths of the daughter Julia in 1889, and Mrs Harper in 1898, the property was sold to Charles George Ellery, a bootmaker in town, then transferred by endorsement to his son Ernest Edward Ellery. The property remained in the Ellery family until 1969 when Lot S1 was transferred to Eric Edmund
Watkins, the Assistant Shire Clerk, and his wife Therese Estelle Watkins, both of View Way in Nedlands, as joint tenants. Following Mrs Watkins death in January 1993, Eric Watkins became sole proprietor. Their daughter Margaret (Margot) Watkins, a well-known Toodyay artist, inherited the property in May 1998 and continues to live and work there having built a large artist’s studio on the property.
(Ref: Shire of Toodyay Heritage List January 2026)
Details
Details
Julia Harper, Rev. Charles Harper's daughter, lived in this cottage before her death in 1889.
Julia Harper assisted her father in teaching children at 'Braybrook' and had responsibility for the Sunday School.
(Ref. Shire of Toodyay Municipal Inventory 2012)
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
- HARPERS COTTAGE (0.03km away)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE & NEW UNDERPASS AT TOODYAY (0.14km away)
- BUILDING STANDARD GAUGE RAILWAY LINE, TOODYAY 1964 (0.14km away)
- LOCOMOTIVE CROSSING HARPER ROAD RAILWAY BRIDGE (0.15km away)
- AVON RIVER FLOOD AT TOODYAY 1920S (0.22km away)
- TOODYAY HOMES FOR THE AGED (BUTTERLY COTTAGES) (0.27km away)
- BOARDING HOUSE DURING FLOODS OF 1955 (0.3km away)
- OFFICIAL OPENING OF AVON RIVER BRIDGE, TOODYAY (0.3km away)
- TOODYAY BOARDING HOUSE; FLOODED 1955 (0.31km away)
- AVON RIVER IN FLOOD, TOODYAY, 1930 (0.34km away)
Nearby places: View all geotagged records »
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- SCALLOPED EDGING LACE
- MCKITTRICKS STORE STIRLING TERRACE
- MEMORIAL HALL TOODYAY
- AVON RIVER IN FLOOD TOODYAY 1930
- MRS EUPHEMIA MACKINTOSH (NEE DRUMMOND) AND DAUGHTER MADGE
- NEWGAIN GRANARY AND SHEDS
- INTERIOR OF KITCHEN IN NEWCASTLE GAOL MUSEUM
- MISS KATH MACKINTOSH ON HORSE
- SCHOOL BUILDING, CATHOLIC CONVENT OF MERCY COMPLEX TOODYAY
- LEE-STEERE'S HOUSE (ANGLICAN RECTORY), TOODYAY
- ENGINE IN CONNOR'S MILL
- BRODERIE ANGAISE SLEEVES, PAIR
