Collections WA is a free, searchable platform that brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.
Distributed far and wide across the state, Western Australia’s diverse collections capture the countless shared stories of our past. Collections WA has been designed as a central database that can unite and strengthen our stories, build connections, and help us to gain a better understanding of Western Australia’s intricate history.
For Collecting Organisations
Collections WA allows collecting organisations to publish their records online for free and to have an organisation profile page which is visible to the public. Using Collections WA is an easy way to share some, or the whole of your collection, to a wider audience. By uploading records to Collections WA, not only are you increasing your collection’s visibility, you are also contributing to the collective memory and history of our state. If you would like to contribute to Collections WA, please complete our application form. If you would like to read more about how organisations are using Collections WA, please view our case studies.
Features for Collecting Organisations
- Bulk Importing: if your collection already exists in another system, we can import it for you so you don't have to add records one by one.
- Syndication: optional syndication of your public records to Trove.
- Subcollections: for examples, please see our Featured Subcollections.
- Bulk editing of collection records.
- No upgrades required - as Collections WA is an online system you will not have to install any software.
- QR codes for linking to your Collections WA records from your physical labels.
- Online training manual and technical support.
- Collections WA is completely free.
Members of the public do not need a user account to use Collections WA. Whether you are a student, a researcher, or someone with a keen interest in our State’s history, Collections WA is a valuable tool for conducting research. Through Collections WA you can discover unique cultural, creative and community stories from Western Australian collections.
Collections WA is an initiative of the Collecting Sector Working Group and is overseen by the Australian Museums and Galleries Association Western Australia and the Western Australian Museum with funding provided by Lotterywest, the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries and the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.