BOARDING HOUSE DURING FLOODS OF 19551955
Black and white photo of a boarding house on the corner of Harper Road & Stirling Terrace, Toodyay, during the February 1955 floods.
The second floor has six windows. Verandah at front is lattice enclosed on the balcony.
Ground floor five windows are same as upstairs. Front verandah has lattice enclosed approx. to 2 metres.
Canvas blind on right side lower level.
Two trees in front garden have been cut back.
Picket fence in foreground. Flood water is up to house.
This building was originally constructed in 1861 by John Henry Monger as a two storey warehouse. It became known as Monger's Store.
In the years leading up to the sale of the property to H. Davey in 1891, the top floor was used as a private school. Davey converted the top floor to a residence whilst he undertook additions to the nearby Freemasons Hotel, which he had also purchased.
The building, which became known as Nottingham House, was sold to the Industrial Extracts Factory in 1945 and used as a boarding house for employees.
It was demolished in September 1968 to make way for the construction of the new bridge that replaced an older one spanning the Avon River at this spot.
It stood where the Harper Road and Stirling Terrace intersection is today which is adjacent to Duidgee Park, a popular picnic spot for residents and visitors.
Another identical photo (in sepia tones) is also held in the Shire of Toodyay collection under accession number 2001.1480.
Boarding house was situated where Duidgee Park is now. Demolished in Sept. 1968.
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
- TOODYAY BOARDING HOUSE; FLOODED 1955 (0.02km away)
- OFFICIAL OPENING OF AVON RIVER BRIDGE, TOODYAY (0.04km away)
- TOODYAY AVON RIVER FLOOD 1952 (0.05km away)
- NEWCASTLE BRIDGE AND AVON RIVER IN FLOOD 1930 (0.05km away)
- ROAD BRIDGE OVER FLOODED AVON, LOOKING TOWARDS NORTH TOODYAY 1915 (0.05km away)
- TOODYAY FLOOD 1952 OR 1953 (0.06km away)
- AVON RIVER IN FLOOD, TOODYAY, 1930 (0.06km away)
- AVON RIVER IN FLOOD AT NEWCASTLE BRIDGE, TOODYAY 1936 (0.06km away)
- FLOOD AT NEWCASTLE BRIDGE (0.06km away)
- AVON RIVER IN FLOOD, 9 JULY 1930 (0.09km away)
View all geotagged records...
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- WICKLOW HILLS SCHOOL
- PUPILS AT TOODYAY STATE SCHOOL, DUKE STREET
- STIRLING TERRACE, TOODYAY
- SYREDS COTTAGE AT BEJOORDING
- ROBERT JAMES MACKINTOSH WITH HIS MOTHER MARY ANN MACKINTOSH (NEE LAHIFF)
- LENGTH OF FILET INSERTION LACE
- TEACHER AND PUPILS OUTSIDE BEJOORDING SCHOOL
- DRUMMOND'S STEAM MILL, TOODYAY
- NEWCASTLE GOVERNMENT SCHOOL, DUKE STREET
- OLIVER WHITFIELDS PRODUCE STORE WITH OLIVER WHITFIELD [AND WIFE EVA] AND BICYCLE
- BILL SORRELL
- BOY RECLINING ON A BENCH