Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.



Colour photo of Newgain Granary Barn.
On front left of photo is windmill - large tree at rear of single story part of building; roof is clad in shingles.
Single story has two windows minus glass. Second story has three windows on upper floor.
Some glass in two windows, lower floor two windows.
Corrugated iron shed at rear. Bushes & trees on left & right side & foreground.
Fence line top from right to left. Each building has a single doorway.
Twine family own the Newgain property.

Historical information

The building's original use was as a granary and dwelling. The date of construction of the granary is estimated to be c1860. The builder was George Henry Hasell and the architectural style is Victorian Georgian.
James Twine came to the colony as a labourer in 1833 and bought a farm in Guildford. He traded this farm with Dr Viveash's Toodyay holdings in 1852 in order to consolidate his land with his stepson's inherited lands. Further purchases during the 1860s lead to a 1400 acre pastoral leases to the east and developed the neighbouring farm, 'Maisemore'.
James Twine was an inaugural member of the Toodyay Road Board. He retired in 1874 and his sons took over management of the
properties. (ref: Toodyay Municipal Inventory, 2010 listing ref 93)



Registration number
Item type
9 cm
Height or length
12 cm
Inscriptions and markings

On back of image: in blue ink 'Twines - Newgain'

Contextual Information

Similar photograph to Shire of Toodyay acc. no. 2001.1279. Date estimation taken from another similar photograph Shire of Toodyay acc. no. 2001.1274

Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)