GROUP OF SCHOOL STUDENTS, TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREETc. 1929
B & W photo. A group of four rows of students- boys and girls.
The back row of boys are standing; the next row of boys and girls are sitting and standing; the third row of girls are sitting, and in front of them is a row of boys sitting cross-legged.
A brick wall and door is behind the group and wooden slats to the sides, with a carved point shaped woodwork to the top right-hand corner.
Discoloration and finger marks to back of photo. Slight marking to edge of photo.
Back row: L-R Joe de Bondi, Eric Twine, Leon Chitty, David Lukin, Tom Drake-Brockman (Drakebrockm?), Bill Davies, Tom Rodgers, Laurie Cook, Dudley Chitty, Bert Dorrizzi, Doug Wood, Bill Page.
Third row: L-R Colin Campbell, Mervyn Fawell, Ross Smith, Eric Morgan, (unnamed), Ida Haywood, Alison Walton, Gladys Twine, Jean Fawell, Betty Wroth, Joan McCluney, Peggy Lukin, Deborah Drake-Brockman, Beryl Martin.
Second row: L-R Helen Twine, Heather Baddley, Doris Hasson, Edna Meredith, Hazel Messenger, Myrtle Haywood, Alma Chitty, Joyce Parker, Pat Porter, Dorothy Fawell, Joan Sinclair, Annie De Bondi.
Front row: L-R Neil Ferguson, Frank Twine, Ewen Mackintosh, David Weir, Gordon Dorrizzi, Reg Dawson, Bill Cook, Walter Chitty, (First name unknown) Fawell.
The old Newcastle School, located on Duke Street, was the first purpose built school in the new town site of Toodyay (then known as Newcastle). It operated as a school from 1887 to 1954.
From about 1914, new teaching methods were introduced at this school, located in Duke Street, Toodyay that focused on skills suited to future farmers and country residents, including the use of small agricultural plots.
From 1918 the school was classified as a rural observation school. In May 1919, 27 visiting teachers participated in a "school of instruction", spending two weeks learning about the new teaching methods. This was the largest such event held in the state at the time.
In 1920 the school was declared Western Australia's first consolidated school, taking students from smaller schools in outlying areas. Such consolidation provided more efficient teaching than multiple smaller schools. Initially, West Toodyay School was closed and the children taken to Duke Street each day by bus. The same was done for other schools later; the increased student numbers necessitated addition of another classroom, and a wooden pavilion was moved from Bunbury in 1923.
A Parents and Citizens Association was formed in 1921, and a school board was elected in 1923. Also in 1923, the school was provided with electric light.
By 1949 increasing numbers of students meant a site for a new school was chosen. In 1954 the new Toodyay District High School opened and Duke Street closed.
This photograph is a duplication of another photo in the Shire of Toodyay collection: 2001.1046. Identification of pupils is per inscription on the back of that photo.
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
- PUPILS DUKE STREET SCHOOL (0km away)
- STUDENT GROUP TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0km away)
- FOOTBALL TEAM, TOODYAY STATE SCHOOL, DUKE ST. (0km away)
- FORMER TOODYAY SCHOOL, DUKE STREET (0.01km away)
- TOODYAY SCHOOL STUDENTS, STD 1 & 2 (0.02km away)
- NEWCASTLE GOVERNMENT SCHOOL, DUKE STREET (0.02km away)
- COOKING CLASS TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0.02km away)
- PUPILS AT TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0.02km away)
- A GROUP OF SCHOOL CHILDREN (0.02km away)
- THREE TEACHERS AT TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0.02km away)
View all geotagged records...
Shire of Toodyay
Shire of Toodyay
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- ST JOHN THE BAPTIST 'OLD' ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
- HAND MADE EDGING LACE
- DUKE STREET SCHOOL TOODYAY 1929
- PUPILS AND TEACHER OUTSIDE TEN MILE HILL SCHOOL 1913-1914
- COTTAGE, 124 STIRLING TERRACE, TOODYAY
- JAMES DRUMMOND JNR
- ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH BELL-TOWER
- BLACKSMITH'S SHED SYRED'S COTTAGE BEJOORDING
- MACKINTOSH SISTERS
- MRS EUPHEMIA MACKINTOSH NEE DRUMMOND
- AVON RIVER IN FLOOD, 9 JULY 1930
- JULIA HARPER'S COTTAGE, TOODYAY
Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->