Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue
Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.

PUPILS AND TEACHER OUTSIDE TEN MILE HILL SCHOOL 1913-1914

1913
Subcollections
Overview

Group of 15 boys & girls of various heights with their female teacher standing at the side of a weatherboard building.
Above the heads are the lower halves of 2 open casement windows.
Some children have boots & socks, others have bare feet.
One boy 2nd left front row is holding hat across his knees.
People identified are: Back row L-R: Lou? Chitty, Ron Markey?, Olive Chitty, Olive Morley, Lelia? Chitty, Gertrude Hassel (teacher).
Front row L-R: Mick (Albert) Chitty, Alma Sinclair (Young), Stuart Sinclair, Leta Chitty, Karey (Morlely, Oakley?) Alison Chitty, Bill Ferguson.

Historical information

The Ten Mile Hill State School opened in September 1913 on the Toodyay-Perth Road, near the Lovers Lane junction.
The school was built by E. Crossley. The first teacher was 17 year old Gertrude Hasell.
The school finally closed in 1925. The last teacher was Eileen Plummer.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-2001.1361
Item type
Width
9 cm
Height or length
14 cm
Inscriptions and markings

Writing on reverse of photo reads: "10 Mile Hill School 1913-1914" and names of children.

Year
1913
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)
Loading...