Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.



Colour photo of house in countyside.
Foreground shows crop of wild oats. Trees on left of photo, two horses under trees, house has iron roof with a partly enclosed verandah, garage on side of house.
Now named Whitfield House, on Fiennes Street. (The 1907 lockup is visible in the background further up the hill.)

Historical information

The house was completed in 1863 for John Acton Wroth. It was originally a four roomed cottage with shingle roof. From 1871, Mrs. G. Whitfield used the site for a private school. In 1887, Augustus Frederick Lee Steere of the Lee Steere family purchased the house and added two rooms on the east end. He bequeathed the place to the Anglican Church on his death in 1903. The first clergyman to occupy the rectory was the Reverend John Ellis. It later became a private residence.
The house remains today as an extended dwelling of brick and iron construction with rendered arches to door and window openings, brick chimneys and casement windows. The front verandah has timber posts and colonial style cross-cross balustrading.
A commemorative plaque on the building notes that it was renovated in 1949, through the generosity of Sir Ernest and Lady Lee Steere.



Registration number
Item type
8.5000 cm
Height or length
12.5000 cm
Inscriptions and markings

On back of image: in blue ink 'Lee-Steers House - Anglican Rectory - Private Home - Toodyay':

Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Google Maps search term / URL!4v1662536220955!6m8!1m7!1s84xfVCY_sRrWC9bG6K7anA!2m2!1d-31.55257363731508!2d116.4677107746839!3f147.66142162903898!4f-1.9579787617740863!5f1.5776592986203397
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)