OLD RESIDENCY TOODYAY
a) b/w photo-reproduction of Magistrate's House on Anzac Avenue, Toodyay (aka Doctor's Residence, Old Residency). Shows long brick structure with wrap-around verandah and gable roof. 2 chimmneys and sihouette of child towards rhs. Various historical notes on back.
The photo is of moderate quality and is in excellent condition.
b) Handwritten note to museum curator from Joan O'Reilly in 1999 on house, advising of various people around town who might remember the building
The building was destroyed in 1963 as part of roadworks associated with the construction of the Standard gauge Railway Line, and the majority of the site lies under the newly created Anzac Avenue.
When construction of the dual gauge Eastern Railway through the Avon Velley reached Toodyay in the mid 1960s, the alignment of the railway line through the township changed.
To accommodate this a number of older buildings, including this one, had to be demolished.
Toodyay was provided with a station on the new alignment and it opened on 14 February 1966.
The value of the item considered for accession lies in its research value as a visual record of the development of Newcastle, especially as the building is no longer extant.
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
- LOOK OUT FOR TRAIN SIGN AT CROSSING, CLINTON STREET, TOODYAY (0.07km away)
- OPENING OF EXTENSIONS TO TOODYAY SHIRE OFFICES (OLD COURTHOUSE) (0.07km away)
- SUNDAY TIMES PICNIC TRAIN, TOODYAY (0.08km away)
- OLD COURTHOUSE, SHIRE ADMINISTRATION (0.09km away)
- OPENING OF THE NEW TOODYAY ROAD BOARD OFFICES IN THE RESTORED COURTHOUSE, 1959 (0.1km away)
- TOODYAY SHIRE COUNCIL EXTENSIONS 1985 (0.1km away)
- GROUP AT ENTRANCE OF THE NEW TOODYAY ROAD BOARD OFFICES IN THE OLD COURTHOUSE (0.11km away)
- OPENING OF THE NEW TOODYAY ROAD BOARD OFFICES IN THE RESTORED COURTHOUSE, 1959 (0.11km away)
- OPENING OF THE NEW TOODYAY ROAD BOARD OFFICES IN THE RESTORED COURTHOUSE (0.11km away)
- COURT HOUSE TOODYAY (0.11km away)
View all geotagged records...
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- KODAK FILM ENVELOPE AND NEGATIVES
- ALBUM PAGE - EARLY VIEWS OF TOODYAY
- SYRED'S COTTAGE NEGATIVES
- JAMES DRUMMOND JNR NEGATIVE
- CHARLOTTE DAVIS MEMORIAL
- LAND TRANSFER DOCUMENTS
- TOODYAY HOSPITAL DISCHARGE NOTE 1921
- TOODYAY FOOTBALL CLUB NEWSPAPER CLIPPING
- ABORIGINAL MAN RIDING CAMEL
- POETRY BY T J STRAHAN, HANDWRITTEN
- WATER RATES NOTICE AND ENVELOPE, 1945
- CONFERENCE TICKET 1860