WHEAT PLOT AT EXPERIMENTAL FARM SCHOOL, TOODYAY1917
B & W photo of 11 male students are seen standing in a plot of wheat varieties located behind the Toodyay State School. The railway and a car park cover the area in 2022.
In the back ground are 5 buildings, including Marris' Mill under demolition, behind which are tree covered hills.
The wheat is mostly as tall as the boys. The varieties named are Florence, Warren, Cedar, Yandilla King.
From about 1914, new teaching methods were introduced that focused on skills suited to future farmers and country residents, including the use of small agricultural plots.
From 1918 the school was classified as a rural observation school.
In May 1919, 27 visiting teachers participated in a "school of instruction", spending two weeks learning about the new teaching methods. This was the largest such event held in the state at the time.
In 1920 the school was declared Western Australia's first consolidated school, taking students from smaller schools in outlying areas.
Names of the children are written on back of photo:" Peter Lee, Mate Lee, Lyner Aub Leeder, 'Crusty' Lloyd (Fred), Wesley James."
Note accompanying photo reads: " Experimental - Agricultural Division of Toodyay School up from old school [Duke St.] sixty years ago".
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
- FOOTBALL TEAM, TOODYAY STATE SCHOOL, DUKE ST. (0.04km away)
- STUDENT GROUP TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0.04km away)
- PUPILS DUKE STREET SCHOOL (0.04km away)
- GROUP OF SCHOOL STUDENTS, TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0.04km away)
- FORMER TOODYAY SCHOOL, DUKE STREET (0.05km away)
- NEWCASTLE GOVERNMENT SCHOOL, DUKE STREET (0.06km away)
- THREE TEACHERS AT TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0.06km away)
- TOODYAY SCHOOL STUDENTS, STD 1 & 2 (0.06km away)
- COOKING CLASS TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0.06km away)
- STANDARD GAUGE RAILWAY LINE DOZER AND SCRAPER, TOODYAY 1964 (0.06km away)
View all geotagged records...
Shire of Toodyay
Shire of Toodyay
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- COONDLE CRICKET TEAM
- PROPERTY; MANMANNING WHEATBELT, OWNED BY PETER SALVAIRE
- STIRLING TERRACE TOODYAY 1920
- FOOTBALL TEAM
- BACK VIEW OF JAGER`S STORE
- WEST TOODYAY SCHOOL CHILDREN
- OLD POLICE STABLES, TOODYAY RESTORED
- PERTH WHIPPET CLUB IN TOODYAY
- NEWCASTLE HOTEL
- LENGTH OF TATTING
- MOONDYNE FESTIVAL (1985), TOODYAY
- CRICKET NETS AT THE TOODYAY SHOWGROUNDS
Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->