FORGING AT EXPERIMENTAL FARM SCHOOLc. 1920 - 1929
B & W photo of 9 boys working/standing at forge. 5 in dark clothes, 3 in light clothes. 2 holding ? Certificates.
Half person on left, head peeping in middle.
Boy up a tree top right. 4 boys with hats, one boy holding something into forge. 3 boys working on anvil at right. The group has nine people in total.
Trees behind, building to left Toodyay State School?
Names on reverse, Duttle, Tristan Lloyd, Ken Hasson, Wally Doust, Dudley Donegan, (unnamed), Peter Lee (Sydney), Clive Piesse, Ernest Philpott
The old Newcastle School, located on Duke Street, was the first purpose built school in the new town site of Toodyay (then known as Newcastle). It operated as a school from 1887 to 1954. From about 1914, new teaching methods were introduced at this school that focused on skills suited to future farmers and country residents, including the use of small agricultural plots.
From 1918 the school was classified as a rural observation school. In May 1919, 27 visiting teachers participated in a "school of instruction", spending two weeks learning about the new teaching methods. This was the largest such event held in the state at the time.
In 1920 the school was declared Western Australia's first consolidated school, taking students from smaller schools in outlying areas. Such consolidation provided more efficient teaching than multiple smaller schools. Initially, West Toodyay School was closed and the children taken to Duke Street each day by bus. The same was done for other schools later; the increased student numbers necessitated addition of another classroom, and a wooden pavilion was moved from Bunbury in 1923.
A Parents and Citizens Association was formed in 1921, and a school board was elected in 1923. Also in 1923, the school was provided with electric light.
By 1949 increasing numbers of students meant a site for a new school was chosen. In 1954 the new Toodyay District High School opened and the Duke Street school closed.
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- EUPHEMIA MACKINTOSH
- HAROLD LUDEMANN ON PONY WITH DOG
- TOODYAY RAILWAY STATION CATTLE YARDS 1964
- BUILDING ADJACENT TO FREEMASON'S HOTEL TOODYAY, DEMOLISHED 1970S
- NEWCASTLE BRIDGE OVER AVON RIVER
- INSERTION LACE
- STEAM TRAIN CROSSING AVON RIVER IN FLOOD
- ROAD BRIDGE OVER FLOODED AVON, LOOKING TOWARDS NORTH TOODYAY 1915
- TOODYAY VETERANS CRICKET TEAM
- FIVE SOLDIERS
- GIRL AND BOY WITH BICYCLES
- SOLDIER IN UNIFORM