Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.



B/W photo reproduction mounted on card.
Depicts Connor's Mill in 1920 when operating as a flour mill and a power station. Adjoining shed is assumed to house the first machinery installed at the mill site for generating electricity.
Sign reads "Toodyay Roller Flour Milling Co. Lukin and Co. Proprieters" No turret to building, 1st floor windows boarded up, generator shed visible at side, tip of chimney stack just visible over roof.
The image is in good condition save some fading, pin holes in the corners, fraying along the edges of the mounting and glue marks on the back.

Historical information

It is thought this image was reproduced for one of the original displays in the Connors Mill Museum but removed at a later date and stored in the museum workshops.



Registration number
Item type
180 mm
Height or length
300 mm
Contextual Information

In terms of intellectual property, the image copyright of these images is believed to have expired and now lies in the public domain, making free to use for research or display.
Connor's Mill, Toodyay operated as a flour mill between 1870 and c1920.
In 1919 a power station was established adjacent to the milling operation.
In 1921 a fire destroyed the milling machinery but not the power generation machinery. Power generation continued on the site, at first by private companies, and then after 1927 by the Toodyay Road Board.
In 1955 Toodyay was connected to the State power grid, and the building subsequently become vacant.
In 1975 the old power station was renovated, renamed Connor's Mill and opened as a tourist bureau and museum.

Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Google Maps search term / URL!4v1647462696329!6m8!1m7!1sv7dJr_AztSQMTifnPrIL-w!2m2!1d-31.55023628705307!2d116.4651234676069!3f160.0911631246674!4f4.795109724744506!5f1.541861668320713
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)