Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice

OPENING OF REFURBISHED CONNOR'S MILL AND TOODYAY TOURIST CENTRE

1976
Subcollections
Overview

A small coloured photo, slightly faded, of the opening of the refurbished Connor's Mill and the Toodyay Tourist Centre.
The event occurred outside the front of the mill, with the audience seated in several rows of bench seats.
Audience is also standing behind the seats in foreground and on the middle left. Mr Alan Ridge (MLA) (on left) and John Pearce are at the microphone, in front of the mill door.
Blue sky. Duke Street School in background.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-2001.1136
Item type
Width
12.6000 cm
Height or length
12.3000 cm
Inscriptions and markings

Written on back: Photographer, R Paynter, CH 318; Mr A Ridge & John Pearce 3/4/76.

Contextual Information

Originally built as a flour mill, this building had been re-purposed as a Power Station during the second decade of the 20th century. The Toodyay Road Board purchased the property in 1927 and continued to provide electricity to Toodyay until the town was connected to the State power grid in 1955. Over the next 20 years the building was vacant and became derelict until it was renovated, renamed Connor's Mill and opened as tourist bureau in 1975. The official opening of Connor's Mill occurred the following year.

Year
1976
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback