Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice

CONNOR'S MILL, DERELICT

Subcollections
Overview

B/W photo reproduction mounted on card of Connor's Mill as a derelict building between 1955 &1975.
Mill sign reads "Road Board Power Station", windows boarded up with corrugated iron, wheat bag slide missing from 1st floor.
Part of watertank visible in background.
On the back of the photo is a handwritten note 1. Connors Mill (1870) before restoration between 1927-1955.
The image is in good condition save some fading, pin holes in the corners, fraying along the edges of the mounting and glue marks on the back.

Historical information

It is thought this image was reproduced for one of the original displays in the Connors Mill Museum but removed at a later date and stored in the museum workshops.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-2012.29
Item type
Material
Width
205 mm
Height or length
260 mm
Inscriptions and markings

on back: 1 Connor's Mill (1870) before restoration between 1927-1955

Contextual Information

In terms of intellectual property, the image copyright of these images is believed to have expired and now lies in the public domain, making free to use for research or display.
Connor's Mill, Toodyay operated as a flour mill between 1870 and c1920.
In 1919 a power station was established adjacent to the milling operation.
In 1921 a fire destroyed the milling machinery but not the power generation machinery. Power generation continued on the site, at first by private companies, and then after 1927 by the Toodyay Road Board.
In 1955 Toodyay was connected to the State power grid, and the building subsequently become vacant.
In 1975 the old power station was renovated, renamed Connor's Mill and opened as a tourist bureau and museum.

Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback