BACK TO TOODYAY SCHOOLS DAY
Framed colour photo mounted on card showing celebrations in Toodyay for Western
Australia's 150th anniversary in 1979.
The photo shows a horse and cart parked behind what is believed to be the Uniting Church building (Duke Street School).
The horse has been harnessed in the traditional manner and the cart is occupied with a man and women dressed in colonial costume sitting on hay bales, with a young girl similarly dressed in colonial costume sitting behind them.
Two boys in colonial costume are walking next to the horse, bearing sandwich boards advertising the Farmers Market being run as part of the celebrations.
In front of the horse another young boy dressed in colonial garb appears to be reaching for the bridle, and in the background a woman in colonial costume is watching the events.
The photo is of good quality and the physical condition is generally good with only some small stains and folding.
Part of the 'Back to Toodyay' week held between 4th &10th June 1979.
It is unknown who originally owned this photo or how it came to be stored in the Museum Workshop. In terms of intellectual property it is assumed that it was taken with the intent of recording the State's 150th celebrations. It is therefore assumed that these photos are intended to be kept for research or display.
Frank Vangorkun, Venture Photographics
On Friday 8th June a 'Back to Toodyay Schools' day was held, as well as a Farmers' Market, historical pageant and school historical displays.
The value of the item considered for accession lies in its research value as a visual record of a major civic event celebrating the states history.
The current MOSAIC database does contain other images of the 150th celebrations however the image is still considered a useful reference for the event and may have value in any future displays on Toodyay's history.
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
- NEWCASTLE GOVERNMENT SCHOOL, DUKE STREET (0.01km away)
- SERIES OF PHOTO PROOFS FOR BACK TO TOODYAY SCHOOLS REUNION 1979 (0.01km away)
- DUKE STREET SCHOOL STUDENTS, EARLY 20TH CENTURY (0.01km away)
- STUDENTS AT THE FORMER TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET SCHOOL AFTER THE TDHS FIRE (0.01km away)
- PUPILS AT TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET (0.01km away)
- PUPILS & TEACHER AT NEWCASTLE (TOODYAY) SCHOOL DUKE STREET 1908 (0.01km away)
- PUPILS AT DUKE ST IN FANCY DRESS COSTUME (0.01km away)
- DUKE STREET SCHOOL 1908 (0.01km away)
- A GROUP OF SCHOOL CHILDREN (0.01km away)
- TOODYAY STATE SCHOOL, STANDARD 4 AND 5 CLASS (0.01km away)
View all geotagged records...
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- AWL; LEATHERWORK
- OLD RESIDENCY TOODYAY
- KODAK FILM ENVELOPE AND NEGATIVES
- ALBUM PAGE - EARLY VIEWS OF TOODYAY
- SYRED'S COTTAGE NEGATIVES
- JAMES DRUMMOND JNR NEGATIVE
- CHARLOTTE DAVIS MEMORIAL
- LAND TRANSFER DOCUMENTS
- TOODYAY HOSPITAL DISCHARGE NOTE 1921
- TOODYAY FOOTBALL CLUB NEWSPAPER CLIPPING
- ABORIGINAL MAN RIDING CAMEL
- POETRY BY T J STRAHAN, HANDWRITTEN