Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice

NEWCASTLE HOTEL

c. 1911
Subcollections
Overview

Same description as for Acc No 2001.968. An identical b&w photo but smaller size and in poorer condition.
Southern view of Newcastle Hotel, Stirling Terrace, 2 storey.
Verandah on second level has railings and lattice work.
Man standing left side behind a sign reading "Skating Rink".
On lower street level are 4 children and adult (near sign saying Bar).
Staircase goes from street to 2nd story verandah.
On roof is scalloped woodwork on 2 gables.
Sign on front of hotel: Newcastle Hotel. H. Williams.

Historical information

The hotel was built in 1862 for Joseph T. Monger on Pensioner Guard lots S8 and S10 on New Street, later renamed Stirling Terrace, Toodyay.
The hotel was licensed in 1863 as the Newcastle Hotel. In 1870 Monger transferred the licence to J.G. Findell. In 1872 Ebenezer Martin took over the licence; he was replaced in 1874 by Thomas Donegan who only held the licence for a year before handing it on to W.G Leeder. In 1877 Leeder became the owner of the property.
The site was developed further in the late 1890s with the construction of a pair of parapeted fronted shops abutting the hotel at 84 Stirling Terrace. The mill ceased operations in 1908, but was later converted to a skating rink for the townspeople and was also used as a picture theatre, with the operator - Palace Picture Shows - bringing its own electric lighting plant. In 2013 the hotel, which had been renamed the Toodyay Tavern, ceased operating as licenced premises. In 2021 the property opened as the Toodyay Manor providing accommodation for visitors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toodyay_Manor

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-2001.967
Item type
Year
c. 1911
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Google Maps search term / URL
https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1647450546976!6m8!1m7!1sdCoA1DFH88dXRgeLdIioig!2m2!1d-31.55156627925633!2d116.4706862729649!3f9.922997759575109!4f-3.0505242341034347!5f0.7820488814109169
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback