PHOTOGRAPH: KINGS HALL, SUBIACO
The image shows the exterior of King's Hall in Rokeby Road with three shops at ground level. On the right hand side, separate from the King's Hall block at 144 Rokeby Road is 'Milady' Ladies Hairdressing. The two storey building has an iron roof with a bullnosed verandah. Carved into the concrete façade above the verandah are the words 'King's Hall'. Turned timber posts support an ornamental trellis-like timber section under the eaves.The lower half of the verandah is enclosed with timber rails and carved vertical posts. The lower level has turned timber posts supporting the verandah section. Mr John David Meldrum and his wife Emma and their grandchildren Ken and Joan lived in the caretaker's quarters behind the hemstitching shop on the right of the Hall's entrance (No. 142) and upstairs up to the first post from the right. The hemstitching shop was run by a Miss Durham. Next door is Hiddlestone Bros., Electrical Engineers and Contractors. Next to that is the Hall's main entrance. There was a large hall downstairs and a lesser hall upstairs. The shop on the left of the entrance charged its tenants expensive rates.
Note: P85-473b scanned.
Details
Details
A plaque on the exterior of the building states: King's Hall 1902. Privately owned, the King's Hall was the social centre of Subiaco in the first half of the twentieth century. It was the venue for balls, concerts and events such as the reception that marked the end of World War 1. The Timewell family's clothing store occupied the building from 1952 until 2000. Since then it has housed a pharmacy.
Local, business and family history
Historic:
Social:
Other items from Subiaco Museum
- PHOTOGRAPH: SUBIACO BRASS BAND
- PHOTOGRAPH: SUBIACO BRASS BAND
- PHOTOGRAPH: SUBIACO BRASS BAND
- PHOTOGRAPH: SUBIACO CHORAL SOCIETY, CHAMPION CHOIR, PERTH EISTEDDFOD
- PHOTOGRAPH (FRAMED): SUBIACO CHORAL SOCIETY, CHAMPION CHOIR, PERTH EISTEDDFOD
- PHOTOGRAPH: KING EDWARD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL ENTRANCE
- PHOTOGRAPH: THE OVAL, SUBIACO
- PHOTOGRAPH: MRS SWANNELL RIDING HER BICYCLE IN HAY STREET, SUBIACO
- PHOTOGRAPH: MR AND MRS ARTHUR NELSON WITH EDIE AND BABY
- PHOTOGRAPH: PICNICKING AT CRAWLEY
- PHOTOGRAPH (COPY): PICNICKING AT CRAWLEY
- PHOTOGRAPH: LAYING THE TRAM TRACKS IN ROKEBY ROAD CIRCA 1900