Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice

RUSTON-HORNSBY ENGINE, BEHIND CONNOR'S MILL

Overview

Medium black & white photo of power generating unit, mounted on a concrete base.
The unit is connected by large pipes to another unit housed in a corrugated iron sheet behind the power unit.
The outdoor unit has two large fly wheels.
There is a ladder leaning against the shed.
Timber supports seem to be holding a structure above the shed's roof.

Historical information

Believed to be the second-hand Ruston-Hornsby gas-powered engine purchased in 1941.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-2008.45
Contextual Information

This was a cheaper method of producing power during wartime fuel shortages; however the engine required more work to keep it running.

Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Believed to be a Ruston-Hornsby gas engine