1937 Western Australian Claxton Shield Series baseball team
A signed photograph of the 1937 Western Australian Claxton Shield Series baseball team. The sepia-coloured photograph is mounted on brown cardboard and is encircled by the signatures of the team, their manager and patron.
In 1937 Western Australia joined the Australian Baseball Championships for the first time, becoming the fourth State to be represented. It was the fourth annual competition for the Claxton Shield trophy and was held at Unley Oval in Adelaide from 7 to 14 August. New South Wales won the Shield for the first time. The other participating teams were Victoria and hosts South Australia. Western Australia finished fourth.
Players' signatures surround the photograph.
This is the Western Australian Team (and team officials) selected to compete in the Australian Claxton Shield baseball competition (L-R):
Back row: George Dickinson, Frank Crookes, George Day, Ron Halcombe (Manager), Jack McNamara, George Evans, C. P. Smith (Patron and Line Coach).
Centre row: Ron Black, Llew Jones, Glen Dunstan, D. (Micky) Carr (Captain), Don Gilmour, Bill Lynch.
Front row: Wally Nightingale, A. (Tich) Downing
George Day appears in the photograph, however he was unlucky to be dropped from the team after the second State trial game, when he was unable to reproduce the fine batting form which made him so outstanding among the outfielders.
National Library of Australia [https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37827313]
In the 1930s baseball was in its infancy in Western Australia and was rapidly gaining popularity as a sport. This photograph is of significance as it depicts the first Western Australian baseball team to compete in the Australian Baseball Championships, an Australian national competition. It shows the style of uniform that was worn at that time and is a rare example because it includes the players’ signatures. The photograph was donated by the family of Glen Dunstan who was a member of the 1937 team and therefore has a special place in Baseball WA’s collection.
Claxton Shield -
Other items from Baseball WA
- 2019 aerial photograph of Baseball Park, Tom Bateman Reserve
- 2018 'The Weekend West' newspaper articles on the new owners of Perth Heat Baseball Team
- 1969 Australian Team at Tri-Nations Goodwill Baseball Series
- 1967 West Australian Baseball Team - Claxton Shield - Perth
- 1954 Nedlands Baseball Club 'A' Grade trophy - Most Improved - A. Lodge
- 1950s collage of pocket badges and photograph - American Eagles Club and W.A. Baseball League Umpires
- 1939 Australian Baseball Carnival opening ceremony - Melbourne
- 1939 Gloucester Park Gymkhana and Fireworks advertising leaflet
- 1937 WABL invitation ticket to a picture night
- 1939 Claxton Shield Series New South Wales baseball badge
- 1949 Wests Baseball Club Premiers pocket patch
- 1988 Seoul Olympics umpire's cap