NEWCASTLE GAOL IN EARLY STAGES OF RESTORATIONc. 1961
A black and white photo of the Newcastle Gaol, Toodyay, Western Australia.
The photo is taken from a N.W. aspect from across the road (Clinton St).
In the foreground there is a wooden railing and wild oats with a telephone pole to the right that has an electric light fitting 2/3rds the way up.
Across Clinton St behind a wire fence, are more wild oats about the gaol plus a several large eucalyptus trees near the LHS.
Nearby, central to the photo can be seen the Masonic Lodge Hall and the Toodyay Shire Office building.
In the distant background are other dwellings are seen and there is an early model Holden to RHS of photo.
Re-shingling of the Gaol roof is in progress which suggests early stage of the Gaol's restoration.
Debris from the old roof is visible on road side.
The restored gaol opened as a museum on 7 October 1962.
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
- OPENING OF THE OLD GAOL MUSEUM, TOODYAY 1962 (0km away)
- RAISING FLAG AT OLD GAOL MUSEUM, TOODYAY (0km away)
- REPAIR WORK TO OLD GAOL, TOODYAY (0km away)
- NEWCASTLE GAOL WHILE A PRIVATE RESIDENCE, IMAGE REVERSED (0.02km away)
- OPENING OF OLD GAOL MUSEUM (NEWCASTLE GAOL) 1962 (0.02km away)
- NEWCASTLE GAOL RUINS, C1960/61 (0.02km away)
- PHOTO ON CARD, OLD GAOL MUSEUM, TOODYAY (0.02km away)
- OLD POLICE STABLES (RUINS) (0.05km away)
- NEWCASTLE POLICE STABLE RUINS, TOODYAY (0.05km away)
- RE-BUILDING WICKLOW SHEARING SHED (0.07km away)
View all geotagged records...
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- WARDERS' QUARTERS OF THE TOODYAY CONVICT HIRING DEPOT
- COLLAR; LADIES IRISH LACE
- TOODYAY PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPILS, AFTER 1954
- JAMES ALLEN & MARY ANN TWINE
- OPENING OF TOODYAY SCHOOL
- DUKE STREET SCHOOL 1908
- TOODYAY INDUSTRIAL EXTRACTS 'WOOD EXTRACT' BAGS
- PUPILS AT DUKE ST IN FANCY DRESS COSTUME
- BULLOCK TEAM; LION MILL, MT HELENA
- PUPILS & TEACHER AT NEWCASTLE (TOODYAY) SCHOOL DUKE STREET 1908
- PUPILS AT TOODYAY SCHOOL DUKE STREET
- SCHOOL; BEJOORDING, TEACHER AND PUPILS OUTSIDE