PAINTING: 'A DAY AT MOSMANS BAY', WILLIAM FREDERICK STUART
Image: View of Mosman Bay's rocky foreshore with the well forested cliff forming the backdrop in this oil painting. A blonde woman in a cream bathing costume seated on a rock is the centrepiece. Behind her to the left is a smaller figure of a girl in a dark pink swimming costume and white bathing cap and beyond is a motor boat and a dinghy being rowed by two boys (?). A boat shed is visible at the water's edge. Two men are walking in the shallow water in the lower right hand corner of the picture.
This painting hung in Subiaco Senior Citizens Centre dining room together with other paintings by W.F. Stuart.
Signature: Signed 'WF Stuart' in the bottom left hand corner and his name and address are printed in ink and pencil on the reverse, also this caption: "A Day at Mosman Bay W.A.".
Frame: The title is printed on a little wooden plaque at the lower centre of the ornate gold painted frame.
Reverse: Presented to Elderly Citizens Centre WA 1.1.'69 by W.F. Stuart.
On 16 November 1993 the Subiaco Senior Citizens Centre Board of Management agreed to donate six paintings by W.F. Stuart to the Subiaco Museum as they were interesting from an historical sense. The painting had previously been donated by the artist to the SSCC in 1969, where they were hung in the dining room.
WILLIAM FREDERICK STUART
This painting is significant as the work of a Subiaco resident, and for its long term display in the Subiaco Senior Citizens Centre dining room.
Aesthetic: Historic: Social: Representativeness: Provenance: Rarity: Condition: Interpretive:
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
- Bungalow for R.D. Forbes, Bay View Tce, Mosman's Bay. (0.31km away)
- Entrance detail, 5 Bay View Terrace, Mosman Park, . (0.36km away)
- Residence, 5 Bay View Terrace, Mosman Park, . (0.36km away)
- Residence, Bay View Terrace, Mosman's Bay, . (0.49km away)
- World War 1 , Middle East, HOBBS, 1916 (0.76km away)
- World War 1, Australia Western Australia, 10 Australian Light Horse, 1914 (0.95km away)
- World War 1, Australia Western Australia, WATERHOUSE, 10 Australian Light Horse, 1915 (1.42km away)
- World War 1, Australia, TANNER, 16 Battalion, 1918 (1.46km away)
- Residence of B.Meecham, Esq., Forrest St, Peppermint Grove, . (1.49km away)
- AERIAL VIEW OF CLAREMONT/NEDLANDS 1929 (1.59km away)
View all geotagged records...
More items like this
Other items from Subiaco Museum
- BADGE: ROYAL W.A. BOWLING ASSOCIATION. INC.
- BADGE: AUSTRALIAN BOWLING CHAMPIONSHIPS - SYDNEY, 1965
- BADGE: WORLD BOWLS - AUSTRALIA, 1980
- BADGE: AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (BOWLS), 1981
- PHOTOGRAPH (FRAMED): KITCHENER PARK BOWLING CLUB W.A. CENTENNIAL CELEBRATIONS 1929
- PHOTOGRAPH: METTERS' FACTORY - AERIAL VIEW
- BADGE: WORLD BOWLS, ABERDEEN, 1984
- PHOTOGRAPH: METTERS' WORKERS ENAMELLING BATH
- PHOTOGRAPH (COPY): METTERS' WORKERS ENAMELLING BATH
- PHOTOGRAPH: GROUP OF METTERS' WORKERS
- RADIO: RADIOLA, AWA 50TH ANNIVERSARY MODEL IN GOLD CASE
- POSTCARD: ROYDHOUSE PRINTING SHOP, ROKEBY ROAD