Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice

TOODYAY SCHOOL; WHEAT CROP; TWO MEN STANDING WITHIN

1922
Subcollections
Overview

Black and white print shows Mr C Sainsbury the head teacher at left and
Mr P Doig the manager of Elder Smiths.
Both men are standing in the crop of the experimental plots at Duke St School (Lot No 255 ) c1922.

Historical information

Black and white print shows Mr C Sainsbury (left) Head Teacher and Mr P Doig the manager of Elder Smiths, standing in the crop of the experimental plots at Duke St School ( Lot No 255 ) c1922.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-1999.16
Material
Contextual Information

From about 1914, new teaching methods were introduced at this school, located in Duke Street, Toodyay that focused on skills suited to future farmers and country residents, including the use of small agricultural plots. From 1918 the school was classified as a rural observation school.
In May 1919, 27 visiting teachers participated in a "school of instruction", spending two weeks learning about the new teaching methods. This was the largest such event held in the state at the time.
In 1920 the school was declared Western Australia's first consolidated school, taking students from smaller schools in outlying areas. Such consolidation provided more efficient teaching than multiple smaller schools. Initially, West Toodyay School was closed and the children taken to Duke Street each day by bus. The same was done for other schools later; the increased student numbers necessitated addition of another classroom, and a wooden pavilion was moved from Bunbury in 1923.
A Parents and Citizens Association was formed in 1921, and a school board was elected in 1923. Also in 1923, the school was provided with electric light.

Place made
Western Australia
Australia
Year
1922
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback