Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.
Subiaco Museum > Records



Black and white postcard of a narrow gabled shop with bull-nosed verandah and two turned wooden posts. Two men are standing in front, the one to the right marked with a cross to indicate the owner, L.E. MacKenzie. A sign 'ROYDHOUSE late PRINTER' hangs above. The single shop window carries the sign 'L.(E?) MacKENZIE THE SUBIACO PRINTER'. A large sign advertises VAT69 on the side of the building. A sign on the picket fence on the left of the shop reads: 'Barrow - Chimney Sweep 2/6 - Yes Daily - Tel. 2070'. The word 'Woodyard' with an arrow underneath pointing downward is written in ink above the trees in the background. 'Grandfather MacKenzie's printing shop in Subiaco' is written in ink across the top of the photo. To the right, lower down, is written in ink 'PO on cnr' with an arrow pointing right.

Reverse: On the reverse in ink: 'About 1930 to 1935'. Information on donor form states the photo was taken about 1930 and that the shop was near the Post Office. Donor also states that all printing for Subiaco Council was done there (by his father, L.E. MacKenzie).

*Note - Building believed to have been located at 156 Rokeby Road.



Registration number
Item type
138 mm
Height or length
87 mm
Statement of significance

Business and family history

Subiaco Museum

Subiaco Museum

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)