Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.



Small black and white photo of horse-drawn covered carriage, outside the old Toodyay State School building in Duke Street, in front of the town side wall.
Two horses are harnessed, facing left, with a male driver in the cab, with nine passengers (mainly girls in hats) seen on front side bench.
Material sides are rolled up.
One child standing behind on the right.
Smaller building on the left, in front of the main long windows of school buildings.
Carriage has sign "Toodyay Consolidated School, WA".

Historical information

In 1920 the Duke Street School in Toodyay was declared Western Australia's first consolidated school, taking students from smaller schools in outlying areas.
Such consolidation provided more efficient teaching than multiple smaller schools.
Initially, West Toodyay School was closed and the children taken to Duke Street each day by bus. The same was done later for other schools in the Toodyay district.



Registration number
Item type
11 cm
Height or length
14.8000 cm
Contextual Information

The old Newcastle School, located on Duke Street, was the first purpose built school in the new town site of Toodyay (then known as Newcastle). It operated as a school from 1887 to 1954. From about 1914, new teaching methods were introduced at this school that focused on skills suited to future farmers and country residents, including the use of small agricultural plots.
From 1918 the school was classified as a rural observation school. In May 1919, 27 visiting teachers participated in a "school of instruction", spending two weeks learning about the new teaching methods. This was the largest such event held in the state at the time.

Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)