Black and white photograph.
Man mounted on horse to centre.
To right background is a small herd of cattle.
A dog at right edge.
Man with dog at left background.
Left large house with three out buildings.
On reverse written in pencil - Glendearg 3 House/on R./past brick works. Name of Miss CM Mackintosh York Rd. & Wilkie Rd. Greenmount.
Ewen Mackintosh came to the colony in 1841 as a shepherd indentured to James Drummond Jnr. of 'Hawthornden' but soon owned a flock of his own and joined with his cousins, the Macphersons, to form a company known as a Scotch Shepherds. Ewen married Euphemia Drummond in 1849 and they lived in a cottage at 'Coondle'. In 1854 he purchased land from T.N.Yule and named it 'Glendearg'.
During 1861 Mackintosh began building a large brick house, employing two ticket‐of‐leave men, Robert Baker and Edward Baldock. The hole they dug for making the bricks became the cellar. A small government school was conducted in the homestead from 1871 until 1874 when the number of children declined. It was reopened in 1879 and operated until 1884.
In 1923 'Glendearg' was sold to G.T. Gooch who was a successful pastoralist and planned to establish a sheep stud. That same year he built a new house a little distance from the Mackintosh house and named it 'Bacton'. The property was sold to J.C. Phillips of 'Culham' who restored the name. A later owner and occupier was Bolgart farmer Dallas Ludemann.
The Ludemann family later sold it back to the Phillips family. In lateryears it was transferred to a member of the Hamersley family.
(Ref: Shire of Toodyay Municipal Inventory)
Other items from Shire of Toodyay
- NEWCASTLE BRIDGE OVER AVON RIVER, TOODYAY 1900
- SCHOOL OUTING GROUP
- TOODYAY SCHOOL; WHEAT CROP; TWO MEN STANDING WITHIN
- TOODYAY SCHOOL; WA CENTENARY PICNIC AT TOODYAY SHOWGROUNDS
- TOODYAY SCHOOL STUDENTS, STD 1 & 2
- GYMNASTIC GROUP; LADIES
- TOODYAY CLUB, MEMBERS & WIVES
- TOODYAY HOCKEY TEAM; WOMENS
- TOODYAY BOY SCOUTS
- HAY FIELD; CULHAM, SHAW'S HILL
- SANDALWOOD TREE & MAN IN CLEARING
- SANDALWOOD; STACKS AT FREMANTLE 1920s