PUPILS OF SISTERS OF MERCY SCHOOL, TOODYAY1891
Sepia photo mounted on card, showing four rows of female students.
Details of attire: dark frocks, white pinafores, black stockings. Varied hairstyles.
Front row: the girls are seated on a woven mat showing the soles of their shoes.
All are situated in front of the wall of the convent building with the staircase to the left of the central window.
Details on rear of photograph show some names and other information in faded pencil.
Old Reg No.s TCH83:119 & CH508
In 1884 three Sisters of Mercy came from Perth to take on the responsibility of educating the local Catholic children.
A property in the main street of Newcastle (now 94 Stirling Terrace, Toodyay) was duly purchased. It was double storey brick building with a shingle roof (originally constructed in the early 1870s for William Leeder).
Extensions to the front of the building at the floor level of the upper storey took place in 1884 and the Sisters used the building as a Catholic school until 1902.