The Anchor Light

Overview

The Anchor Lamp has been used on sailing ships for hundreds of years and was named for its use when it was a shipping requirement to display a white light from the tallest mast whenever the ship was at anchor or underway at night.

The oil burning Anchor Lamp was lit and then hoisted to the top of the mast with one rope tied to the handle and two ropes through the brass guides to keep it from swaying as the ship rolled with the sea. The Fresnel style lens magnified the light to be visible for 20 nautical miles and the lamp could burn for up to 6 hours before having to be refilled. The lamp was made from brass or copper and burned whale oil or kerosene.

This Anchor Lamp is believed to have been used in the Busselton lighthouse, which was erected in 1870. The lighthouse was built of timber by Charles Keyser from Wonnerup, stood 21 metres high and from under the beams hung a ships bell which was rung to announce the arrival of a ship in port.

The attached photographs show the lighthouse at different stages of its life. The middle photograph shows how the lighthouse was positioned opposite the Courthouse and Gaol which is now part of the Art Geo complex.

A replica of the wooden lighthouse can be viewed in this room

Other No. 1111D

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-124-2020.945
Item type
Material
Width
240 mm
Height or length
560 mm
Depth
240 mm
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Comparative significance criteria
Object’s condition or completeness
Rare or representative
Related Objects

Related Objects

Parent records
Busselton Historical Society

Busselton Historical Society

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Oil Light
Lighthouse at Busselton, circa 1920's
The timber lighthouse ca 1890s. Photo from the Battye Library, Western Australia
Busselton Lighthouse ca 1920
Photograph of the timber lighthouse ca.1920, to the left you can see the courthouse and goal. Photo from the Battye Library, Western Australia
Lighthouse demolition 1933
Photo of the lighthouse being dismantled on 7th April 1933 by Stan White and R C Forsyth, photographer unknown.

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->