Silver coloured brass B Flat cornet with 3 valves, a conical bore and 4 ½ foot of tubing.
Boosey & Company traces its roots back to John Boosey, a bookseller of Franco-Flemish origins who traded in Old Bond St London in the 1760s–1770s. His grandson Thomas (1794/1795–1871) set up a musical publishing company known as T. Boosey & Co. which became known as Boosey & Company in latter part of the 19th century.
In 1851 Boosey & Company diversified into the manufacture of woodwind instruments . In 1868 it began making brass instruments and in 1874 is credited with the widely acclaimed design for compensating valves, after which they began production of string instruments.
In 1874 Boosey & Company moved into offices at 295 Regent Street, where the business was to stay for the next 131 years. In 1892, Boosey & Company opened an office in New York which still exists today.
The business eventually owned half of Regent Street and in 1930 it was still managed by a Boosey, in the person of Leslie Boosey (1887–1979), when it merged with Hawkes & Son to form Boosey and Hawkes .
This cornet was bought from Nicholson's Ltd Perth W.A. and was used in the Busselton Brass Band until the instrument was "retired" in 1980 and given to long time band member John Piper.
Busselton Brass was established in 1871 and has served the Busselton community continuously excepting for short breaks during WW1 and WW2. The Band has competed (and won on many occasions) at the Queen’s Cup, which is a local South-West Band Competition, as well as at State and National Championships and the International Music Festival in Sydney.