Girl Guides - Hall Plaque

2015
Subcollections
Overview

metal rectangular shape with inscription

Historical information

The plaque provides a backstory of BUSSELTON GIRL GUIDE HALL between 1915-2015.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-124-2022.163
Item type
Plaques
Material
Metal
Inscriptions and markings

On the plaque:

"BUSSELTON GIRL GUIDE HALL ... HISTORY

1940-1944 This building was originally a 'Royal Australian Air Force" hut that stood at the aerodrome training base in Busselton during World War II.
During the 1950's - the Busselton Road Board decided to clear the disused area. The local Girl Guide Association decided to purchase the aerodrome building Number 33 - The 'Mess Hut'. The cost of the building was five hundred and 60 pounds £560.

1957 - The building was dismantled and brought into the town area from the aerodrome. It was re-erected in Peel Terrace - all done by voluntary labour under careful supervision of local master builders R Falkingham & Son.

1958 - On April 12th, the Guide Hall was officially opened by Lady Lee-Steere, the State Commissioner for Girl Guides. During previous years, the Weld Hall and also the Congregational Hall had been used for Guiding purposes.

2003 - Busselton Shire advised that the land was needed for a community centre. The hall was shifted for a second time and transformed to Causeway Road.

2015 - This plaque was erected by: the members of 'Grace Bussell Trefoil Guild' as part of the celebrations marking the Centenary of Girl Guides Western Australia.

1915-2015"

Place made
Western Australia, Australia
Year
Primary significance criteria
Artistic or aesthetic significance
Historic significance
Social or spiritual significance
Last modified
Saturday, 15 August, 2026
Completeness
100
Busselton Historical Society

Busselton Historical Society

Busselton Girl Guide Hall

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->