UAOD GRAND LODGE OPENING PROGRAM, PERTH, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

1925
Subcollections
Overview

Program of opening ceremony of the first Grand Lodge premises of the United Order of Ancient Druids (UOAD) in Western Australia on 7th February 1925. Ceremony also included the unveiling of the Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Tablet.
20 page horizontal booklet, with two staples along the centre fold. Has been folded again in the past for storage.
Some of the outer pages are stained and torn. Staples are rusty.
White paper with black printing, inside pages include black & white photographs of officers, buildings and memorial tablet.

Historical information

The historic Druids Grand Lodge building—known as Druids House or Druids Chambers—was located at 459 Hay Street, Perth. In addition to housing lodge offices and chambers, the building and surrounding addresses (445–459 Hay St) later hosted commercial tenants through the mid-20th century, including photography studios and retail shops. The original building footprint at 459–463 Hay Street has undergone modern commercial redevelopment applications and use shifts typical of central Hay Street.

The original Druids existed in iron age Britain and Europe as a ruling order of priests. In 1781 the Ancient Order of Druids (AOD) was formed in England. In 1833 a group split off from this organisation to form an order more open to different social classes. It was named the United Ancient Order of Druids (UAOD) and was structured as a benefit society. The motto of the Order was “United to Assist” and their aim was stated as “Unity, Peace and Concord”.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-2003.14b
Item type
Objects
Width
135 mm
Height or length
210 mm
Contextual information

There was no Druid Order operating in Toodyay. The Northam Lodge No. 306 was founded in 1893 and was still active in 1954.
This program is believed to be part of a donation by Peter Romeo Salvaire who died in 1981 at the age of 96.

Year
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Last modified
Monday, 17 August, 2026
Completeness
94
Related Objects

Related Objects

Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

UAOD opening ceremony of Grand Lodge, Perth WA 1925
Office bearers, UAOD, Perth, WA 1925
Photograph on p.6 of program: office bearers of UOAD, Perth, WA 1924
Photograph of new UAOD Grand Lodge building, Perth WA
Photograph on p.11 of program: new UAOD Grand Lodge building, Perth, WA 1925

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->