Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice

OPENING OF THE TOODYAY PUBLIC LIBRARY, 1959

1959
Subcollections
Overview

Black and white small photo of a crowd of men and women outside the entrance of the new Toodyay Public Library (in the former Mechanics' Institute and Road Board office).
Sign attached above the main entrance reads " Toodyay Public Library in association with The Library Board of WA March 19, 1959".
Assume it is the opening of the Library as women are formally dressed (hats and gloves).

Historical information

The Hon. Lindsay Thorn, M.L.A., Member for Toodyay, opened the new Toodyay Public Library in the former Board Room of the Road Board Chambers, in Stirling Terrace on March 19th, 1959.
On the same day the restored courthouse in Fiennes Street was also officially opened as the new Road Board Chambers by the Hon Lindsay Thorn, M.L.A.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-2001.1325
Item type
Width
6.4000 cm
Height or length
9 cm
Inscriptions and markings

Stamped on back: 372

Contextual Information

In 1926 the former Mechanics Institute building on Stirling Terrace was vested in the Toodyay Road Board. The following year it was renovated and became the new Toodyay Road Board offices. In 1947 the Toodyay Public Library commenced in the southern room of the building. In March 1959 the Road Board Offices moved to the restored courthouse allowing the Toodyay Public Library to further expand into the space vacated by the Road Board.

Year
1959
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Google Maps search term / URL
https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1658039570358!6m8!1m7!1s7cqIdpOwz1epbK6PMoCgTg!2m2!1d-31.55045704432781!2d116.4694721834888!3f21.91137600841045!4f-1.1354657458531818!5f1.4482809301443678
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback