Wellington Weir
c. 1950Bill Angove and his father John at Wellington Weir.
William Henry Norton 'Bill' Angove attended Bunbury High School 1938-1942.
John Henry Angove was the engineer was the engineer in charge of the Wellington Weir and the Collie Irrigation Scheme.
The Wellington Dam on the Collie River was built in 1933 during the Great Depression by sustenance workers.
Enlarged significantly with the help of post-war European immigrant workers who raised the wall height to 34 meters and length to 366 meters. By 1960 the capacity of the dam was 185 gigalitres and it served as an irrigation and regional drinking water source.
Tree-clearing in the Collie River catchment during the 1960s and 1970s caused rising salinity levels that led to its retirement as a primary municipal drinking water source by 1990.
A massive 2021 mural titled Reflections transformed the wall into a major landmark.
Details
Details
Part of a collection of photos used for the event 'Through Bill's Lens - A Bunbury Story' hosted by Richard Goodwin held at the school on the 23rd October 2025.
Verbal permission to use by school but requires attribution to Bill Angove.
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
Copyright and Reference
Copyright and Reference
Acknowledgements to be made to 'Bunbury Senior High School 635'.
Other items by Bill Angove Creative Photography
Other items from Bunbury Senior High School
Wellington Weir
Source: Bunbury Senior High School 635
Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->
