Mining Arms Hotel Nabawac. 1889
Mining Arms Hotel Nabawa
The first Hotel in Nabawah, the Mining Arms, opened in 1889, was built by Samuel Hadley Jupp. It was a place for travellers, miners and the shepherds, who worked on the Mt Erin and Bowes pastoral properties, who could obtain service for themselves and their horses. Although the Narra Tarra mine had closed, some of the miners settled locally, creating a demand which Samuel, a bootmaker by trade, soon satisfied. His son-in-law Robert Gould bought it in 1910, ran it himself for a time, then leased it. He sold the hotel in 1939.
Jules Heinsen became the owner late in 1942. Mrs Heinsen recalls making meals for 60 people after cricket matches, her son killing and preparing their own backyard poultry for the table.
Swan beer sold for 1/9d. a bottle, draught beer 6d. per 6 oz. glass.
Jules Heinsen sold to Geraldton Publican Nick Palates in 1950. When it was managed by Cyril and Linda Giltrow.
The new and improved Mining Arms Hotel in Chapman Valley, originally built in 1889 by Samuel Jupp, a bootmaker from England. It was transformed into this style of building in 1913.
The Mining Arms Hotel finally closed its doors for business at the end of June 1973 after trading for 84 years. A replacement tavern was opened on the first of July adjacent to the sports ground.