Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue
Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.

Jug - Beer, Majestic Hotel, c.1964

Overview

Glass beer jug with 'Hotel Majestic' engraved into the glass.

Historical information

Perhaps one of the most loved hotels in Melville due to its tranquil location was the Majestic Hotel, which was demolished in 1989. Situated on Point Dundas (Aboriginal name Moundaup), it was originally named the Hotel Melville, and was built by A.P Matheson in 1897 to entice landowners to the Applecross foreshore. In 1912 it was described as one of the finest residential hotels in the Commonwealth, with a dining room capable of seating 100 people, in addition to drawing, reading and smoking rooms. It was renamed The Majestic by licensee Thomas Stack in 1925, and remained in his family until it closed its doors in 1981. During World War 2 it was used as a rest point for American forces. After 1981, it endured mixed fortunes, until it was finally purchased by the Bond Corporation which used it as a centre for the America’s Cup Challenge in the 1980s, before demolishing it for redevelopment. The hotel site, being perched upon an idyllic point adjacent to the river, was also used as a favourite picnic spot where people would enjoy crabbing, fishing and prawning.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-137-M2017.4
Item type
Material
Width
200 mm
Height or length
200 mm
Depth
140 mm
Inscriptions and markings

'Hotel Majestic' engraved into the glass.

Keywords
Related Objects

Related Objects

City of Melville Museums

City of Melville Museums

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

glass beer jug

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)
Loading...