Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Warn before showing
culturally sensitive content
Don't warn before
showing culturally sensitive content

If you wish to provide feedback on the Collections WA portal, please email contact@collectionswa.net.au.

Photograph of Clinch's Mill, Greenough.

c. 1940
Overview

Black and white photograph of Clinch's Mill viewed from the west.

Historical information

Prominently located to the east of Brand Highway just north of the Central Greenough Historic Settlement, the building known as Clinch's Mill has three distinct sections. The central and northern sections, which date from 1857 and 1869, are of limestone rubble construction, have no roof and are in a ruinous state. The southern section, dating from c1889 is a large three storey random rubble limestone structure with a colorbond gable roof.
The two storey 1857 mill was constructed for Walter Padbury, the same year as the lots on the Front Flats were surveyed by Francis Gregory.

The mill was sold to Thomas Clinch in 1868 who made alterations soon after purchase. In 1889, Clinch imported roller mill technology which was installed in the new three-storey section. The new machinery began operations in 1891 and continued operations until 1926. The machinery was removed in 1934. The three storey section was restored in the early 1990s and is currently owned by the National Trust of Australia (WA).

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-72-GMME1037
Item type
Width
420 mm
Height or length
170 mm
Depth
1 mm
Themes
Contextual Information

This photograph of Clinch's Mill was taken by a member of the Knapp family c1940.

This photograph is significant because it is the only image we have of Clinch’s Mill before it became a ruin.

Keywords
Greenough
Country
Australia
State
Western Australia
Town/Shire
Greenough
Year
c. 1940
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Comparative significance criteria
Well provenanced
Greenough Museum and Gardens

Greenough Museum and Gardens

Organisation Details
View Collection
Clinch's Mill c1940
Clinch's Mill, Greenough c1940