Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice

Club at Donnelly River Village

Overview

Photo

Historical information

The Donnelly Mill Club was established in 1950 and is an example of workers providing for themselves. Mr Justice Jackson, president of the Arbitration Court, opened the Club building on 24 April 1951, the same day that the mill was officially opened.

Bunning Brothers constructed the Club building but the Club Committee had to repay the debt of £2,051.14s.3d less the cost of the timber (£557.11s.7p) which Bunnings donated. The debt was paid off in 1958.

The Club was the favoured venue and focal point of entertainment throughout the life of the mill with many events being held such as dances, send-offs, weddings, Naturalisation ceremonies, darts and billiards.

Unlike the majority of similar clubs at the time, women had equal membership rights as the men. Although women had equal membership rights, they were allowed only into the lounge and dance hall and could only mix with men on dance nights and functions such as darts competitions.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-21-Photo.9.1044
Item type
Contextual Information

Factual record of the people and activities held at the village Club of Donnelly River during the operation of the Bunning owned timber mill of the 1950's until the mills closure on the 30th June 1978.

Keywords
Place made
Donnelly River, Shire of Nannup
Western Australia
Australia
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Social or spiritual significance
Permissions

Authorisation to reproduce, public or display must be obtained from the Friends Of Donnelly Village Inc.

Attribution requirements

Acknowledgements to be made to Friends of Donnelly Village Inc.

Friends of Donnelly Village Inc (FODV)

Friends of Donnelly Village Inc (FODV)

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Club at Donnelly River Village
Donnelly River Club House