Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice

The Old Mill, 1916.

1916
Overview

A sepia photograph of the Old Mill in disrepair. In the foreground is a wooden picket fence, with slats missing. A young boy is on the right-hand side in front of the fence, near him is a sign "Cool drinks at old cottage"

On the right-hand side of the image is the side of a brick house with a water tank at the rear. The house has two windows and a chimney on the metal roof.

On the left-hand side of the image is a small white cottage, only one side is visible and this has a wooden door in it.

The old mill is in the centre of the photograph, it is a circular structure. It has no sails and is no longer white. The roof of the veranda and the supporting vertical poles are bowed.

Historical information

The Mill was built in 1835 by millwrights, Paul and James Lockyer, and was operated by miller, William Rolf Steel, the business partner of William Shenton. The Mill is a traditional circular, stone structure, which had been plastered and lime-washed. The Mill is approximately 5.0 metres in diameter at the base, and 3.0 metres in diameter at the roofline, with walls 600mm thick at the base and 450mm thick at the top. The wall height of the Mill is 8.0 metres over three storeys, with a 2.5 metre high roof above.

The Mill was developed on Point Belches because of its proximity to the Perth central business district and water transport between Fremantle and Guildford. ‘Miller’s Pool’, a large basin of water to the east of the Mill, had a 12.0 metre wide mouth to the river and was then deep enough to provide mooring for small boats servicing the Mill. At its peak, the wind-driven mill produced 680 kg of flour per day.

William Shenton sold the mill in 1840 to Edward Hamersley and the mill continued to operate under lease from Hamersley who had a house to the east of the mill. However, the Mill did not prove to be profitable, and stopped production in 1859. During this period a small brick cottage was built to the north of the Mill.

In 1870, South Perth resident, Thomas Satan Brown leased the buildings and converted them into a hotel and picnic ground called the ‘Alta Gardens’. Brown added verandas to encircle the Mill and a viewing platform on the top. The "Alta Gardens" was not successful and the site was later used as a residence, wine saloon and poultry farm until resumed by the Government in 1929 from the owner Walter Green.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-93-cwa-org-COSP_PH_729.jpg
Item type
Material
Width
170 mm
Height or length
120 mm
Place made
South Perth
Western Australia
Australia
Year
1916
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Social or spiritual significance
Google Maps search term / URL
https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1652150483366!6m8!1m7!1sCAoSLEFGMVFpcFBxNExaSGt3dUhWdklUaVNUa094M2t1UXVxUW1SZnM2a1NqQlFL!2m2!1d-31.9659595!2d115.8471832!3f216.78741935696564!4f5.488373195912104!5f0.7820865974627469
Permissions

For personal use only. To publish or display, contact the City of South Perth Local History Office.

City of South Perth

City of South Perth

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

The Old Mill, 1916.
The Old Mill, 1916.