KINGS LIVERPOOL REGIMENT WW1 CAP BADGE, FIRST PATTERN1898 - 1921
Metal Badge - Rearing Horse atop a mound, underneath is a ribbon in which is inscribed; THE KINGS.
The horse's mane is plaited.
The badge has been soldered on to a stand (unknown date).
Cap badge of the 5th (Territorial) Battalion, King's (Liverpool Regiment), originally made up of pre-war Territorial soldiers
Donor Esma/Esme Berryman (born 1923) was the daughter of Alice Matilda Markey (nee Chitty) and William James Markey, so the badge possibly has some connection with a member of one of these two local Toodyay families.
The emblem represents the White Horse of Hanover standing on ground below. Badge of pattern worn 1898 - 1921.
The King's Regiment (Liverpool) was one of the oldest infantry regiments of the British Army, having been formed in 1685 and numbered as the 8th (The King's) Regiment of Foot in 1751. Unlike most British infantry regiments, which were associated with a county, the King's represented the city of Liverpool, one of only four regiments affiliated to a city in the British Army.