Bell from Houghs Blacksmith Shop
1890 - 1906Small cast iron bell with with a cast iron striker and a single chin link. The bell has engraving that was put on at a much later date.
The first Blacksmith shop in Busselton was opened by James Barsey (Barzay), around 1865, as part of his General Store on the corner of Prince and West Street Busselton. In 1886 a new Blacksmith shop was erected in the same location for Walter Sunter. In 1888 a second Blacksmith shop was erected in central Prince St by Mr W Cridland. Cridland worked this shop until he left Busselton for Quindalup in 1890 to work for Henry Yelverton and sold the shop to Mr CJ Hough. Hough operated this business until 1896 when he took Mr Robert Donald as a partner. This partnership continued until Hough left the business in July 1906. Robert Donald continued as blacksmith and wheelwright until the 1920s when William Aspley purchased the business.
Details
Details
Engraved on the bell is the following wording which was added at a much later date
This Shop Bell
Was used in Hough's Shop
(Built about 1896)
Corner of Prince & Queen Street
Where Sussex House Now Stands
Mr CJ Hough ran a Blacksmithing business on corner of Prince and Queen Street Busselton from 1890 to 1906 and this bell was used in his shop so that customers could call him from his workshop. Mr Hough may have made this bell himself.
Busselton Historical Society
Busselton Historical Society
Other items from Busselton Historical Society
- Model of Gibbet
- "Jolly Drover" Sandland ware Plate
- Surveyors Chain
- Violin and Case
- Busselton Volunteer Fire Brigade and Football Memorabilia
- Foot stool
- Show Ribbon - Busselton Show, Hackney Stallion Award 1911
- Top Hat of Amy Glindon (nee Layman)
- Handkerchief & Glove Collection
- Ladies Handkerchief
- Crochet Teapot Cover
- Linen - Table Runner

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->
