Image of marble altar in Dominican Convent chapel


Black and white image shows engraved marble altar in front of slatted windows with statues on either side.

Historical information

The marble altar was a gift to the Dominican Nuns in 1914 from Father O'Hare who lived at the presbytery.



Registration number
190 mm
Height or length
150 mm
Contextual Information

The Dominican Priory building was built as a single storey limestone rubble structure by William Criddle in 1881. In 1902 the Dominican Sisters purchased the building, added the second storey and renamed the building St. Dominic's Priory. The large school building to the west was opened in 1926. The school operated until 1971, when a flood from the Irwin River destroyed the tennis courts, school playground and inundated the building with mud. In the mid 1980's new owners renovated the building and the hotel licence was restored as The Priory Lodge.

Place made
Western Australia
Primary significance criteria
Historic significance
Scientific or research significance
Social or spiritual significance
Irwin Districts Historical Society

Irwin Districts Historical Society

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Marble altar in Dominican Convent.
Marble altar in Dominican Convent.

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->