ORAL HISTORY (AUDIO): DAY, TRIXIE
1984Summary:
This interview is with Mrs Trixie Day nee Lander of 102 Townsend Road, Subiaco. Mrs Day is one of five children, four girls - all of whom have been interviewed for the Subiaco Historical Society. Their names are Mrs Winch, Mrs Broome and Mrs Howell. Mrs Day lives with her sister, Mrs Broome. Mrs Day moved to Subiaco about 1914. In 1935 she married and lived on a farm but moved back to Subiaco in 1959 and has lived in the area ever since. In the interview she talks about her memories of Subiaco, the families she knew, the business of Subiaco and what it was like growing up in Subiaco.
Trifie, or Trixie, Day (nee Lander) was born in 1907. In this interview she recalls living in Subiaco, her mothers shop at 306 Hay Street, and her attendance at Subiaco school, and her experiences returning to Subiaco in 1959. She also mentions Subiaco Oval, Kings Park, Influenza epidemic of 1920, Black Boy Hill Camp, the adoption of her son, Rokeby Road, Mayor Doyle, feelings about demolitons, lantern slides, dressmaking, social activities, Shenton Park farm, trams, trains, Loretto and Raphael Streets, Townshend Road, and Winnie Vincent.
The Subiaco Museum also holds the oral histories of Trixie's three sisters, Eulie Broome, Trixie Day and Jean Howl.
Interviewee: Hazel Garton
Date of Interview: 11 August 1983
Interviewer: Ken Spillman
Transcriber: Jo Draffin
Indexer: Marvin Wallin
Mrs Trifie (or Trixie) Day was interviewed by Ken Spillman on 3 April 1984. The original tape is in the Battye Library.
Audio is missing
Details
Details
Social history of Subiaco
Other items from Subiaco Museum

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->
