Royal Perth Golf Club has a strong history dating back to 1895, when the club commenced on Burswood Island before moving to Wattle Grove Farm, Belmont in 1900 and then to its current site in 1908. Royal Perth Golf Club is the oldest golf club in metropolitan Western Australia (WA) and was awarded its Royal Status in 1937.
The Course is built on 30 hectares (74 acres) and the founders created a sound foundation for the great Course it is today, over a 100 years later. The outward nine has three par 5’s with a total par of 37. The inward nine is played in the centre of the Course and includes three difficult par 4’s. By modern standards, the Course is not long, being just over 6,000 metres but it is a challenge for the best players with narrow fairways and renowned firm fast greens. While there is little rough, there are some 80 bunkers!
The Course originally consisted of nine holes and large areas of sand. Sheep kept what grass there was to a reasonable height. In time, the Course expanded and its present form dates from 1929. The Course is on a Reserve leased from the City of South Perth.
The first Clubhouse was built in 1914. It has been rebuilt or expanded on several occasions and the present building is the result of extensive alterations in 2004.
In 1937, the Club was granted a “Royal” charter and became “The Royal Perth Golf Club”.
In 2020, the Club is celebrating its 125th anniversary.
The Archives and Heritage Committee manages the Club's archival collection that includes documentary archives, photographs, physical objects and oral history recordings. All facets of history and memory of the club, its members and operations are captured into the collection. A substantial collection of history books of various Australian golf clubs is actively collected and maintained, as well.
Royal Perth Golf Club
South Perth WA 6151
The collection is accessible by appointment only.
Please email details of your intent for the visit to schedule a meeting time.