View of Manning Avenue Footbridge
View of the Manning Avenue footbridge, which crosses the Canning River in Gosnells.
Before bridges were built in the region, early settlers in the area travelled many miles to the nearest fords, adding hours to already difficult journeys. Pedestrian ‘bridges’ at first were logs, later replaced by purpose built pedestrian bridges.
This footbridge was originally constructed in the 1920s presumably by the Gosnells Road Board although no documentary evidence has been found to confirm this date. In 1949, a handrail was installed by the Gosnells Road Board on the incline at the south end of the bridge.
During the 1950s the South East Gosnells Progress Association requested lights were installed on the bridge.
The bridge was demolished and replaced by MRWA 9024A in 1988.
Information sourced from Heritage Council WA, place number 13833.
Details
Details
Open in Google Maps
Nearest geotagged records:
Nearby places:
View all geotagged records »
Copyright and Reference
Copyright and Reference
City of Gosnells Museum - Wilkinson Homestead
City of Gosnells Museum - Wilkinson Homestead
More items like this
Other items from City of Gosnells Museum - Wilkinson Homestead
- Lucy, Doug, Evelyn and Valentine Wilkinson with friends
- Wilkinson and Aldrich families at Wilkinson Homestead
- Donald Wilkinson and friend on billy cart
- Portrait of Ellie and Jack Wilkinson
- Emma Wilkinson with her children Jack, Ellie and Valentine
- Lucy and Val Wilkinson at Perenjori
- Portrait of James Haslam Wilkinson, grocer
- Hilda and John Wilkinson with Lucy and Mary Baxter at Wilkinson Homestead
- Jessie Baxter with Neil and Donald Wilkinson
- Val Wilkinson with his sons Neil, Donald and Steven
- Emma Wilkinson on verandah at Wilkinson Homestead
- Wilkinson men brushing fruit on the Homestead verandah