POT BELLY STOVE AND FLAT IRONSc. 1903
Metters cast iron wood burning stove for heating up smoothing flat irons. The main body of the stove forms a conical shape on the bottom half and octagonal pyramid shape with the top cut off on the top half. The main body sits on a rectangular base with three ornate legs, two at the front and one at the centre of the back. A lid fits onto the top front of the base that provides access to a rectangle chamber which is the irons fire box. Moulded makers information on the top of the lid.
On the centre of the main body is a metal ledge that flares outwards and upwards for the flat irons to rest on.
At the top is a three sided pyramid with a lip at the base on each side.
At the back of the main body is a round hole with a short cylindrical tube.
Resting on the lips are eight cast iron smoothing flat irons.
This stove was used at the Jull family property Brookside in Armadale between 1903 and 1911. Martin and Roberta Jull built the ornate jarrah home, overlooking the Nerrigen Brook in 1903. The home included a separate laundry house where this stove, designed specifically to keep flat irons hot, was located. Staff employed by the Jull family would have used the stove to do the families ironing. The 'Little Dorrit' laundry stove was produced by Metters Limited, a company founded in Adelaide that became will known for producing kitchen appliances and stoves between 1891 and 1974, between c1901 and c1914.
In 1911 the Jull family moved to Perth and William and Edith Owen purchased the property, renaming it Minnawarra. The Owen's lived at the property until 1947. The stove remained in the laundry room until 1961 when the property, now in considerable disrepair was demolished. John Davey, a local resident and future member of the Armadale Kelmscott Historical Society salvaged the stove and flat irons from a pile of rubbish that was going to be sent to the tip.
Martin and Roberta Jull and William and Edith Owen were prominent members of the Armadale community between the late 1800s and mid 1900s. Martin and William were early property and agricultural developers in Armadale. Martin Jull oversaw the construction of the railway line to the district and along with several businessmen, including William Owen purchased land in Armadale, much of which was developed into orchards and vineyards. Martin started a vineyard in the 1896 overlooking Armadale that would later grow into the Derry Na Sura Vineyard. In 1898 Martin also developed one of the towns early land sales, the Station Estate. Jull and Owen also played a role in establishing the Armadale Mechanics Institute and the St Matthews church. In 1907 the Armadale Kelmscott Road Board renamed Government Road Jull Street to honour the family and their contribution to the emerging town. During World War I William and Edith Owen regularly opened up the home and gardens to visiting groups of soldiers who were recovering from long term injuries at local army hospitals.
Text [ F. METTERS & Co / MAKERS. PERTH] and near edge [LITTLE DORRIT]
This object is part of a collection associated with significant buildings in the City of Armadale. These buildings have played a role in the social, economic and or spiritual development of the district. They can also be asthetically and architectually significant. The building can also be associated with significnat people, organisations or businesses who have all had an impact on the City of Armadale.
City of Armadale - History House
City of Armadale - History House