Skip to main content

Please be advised: this website contains the names, images and voices of people who are now deceased.

Collections WA has a responsibility to preserve and make accessible the history and culture of Western Australia in all its various forms. The intention of Collections WA is to support research, and to reveal actions of the past that have impacted upon communities, families, and individuals.

In doing so, Collections WA acknowledges the need to respond sensitively and appropriately in cases when accessing this material may be confronting to Aboriginal visitors and clients.

Please also note: Some historical materials within this portal may include language or opinions that today are considered inappropriate or even offensive. Collections WA does not endorse this language and apologises for any distress caused.

Continue
Continue showing cultural advice
Stop showing cultural advice
CWA Logo Collections WA brings together collections from libraries, galleries, museums, archives, historical societies, cultural organisations, community groups and other collecting organisations across Western Australia.

CAMP AT BARDOC

c. 1896 - 1908
Subcollections
Overview

Sepia photo of three men seated in front of a tent.
Brushwood high fence behind.
Seated men are all wearing hats.
Man on left has coat with waistcoat holding flyswitch.
Shovel axe and gold pans leaning against tent poles.

Details

Details

Registration number
cwa-org-37-2001.1083
Item type
Width
15.5000 cm
Height or length
14 cm
Inscriptions and markings

( NOTE: writing on reverse of photo identifies the men as L-R George Benjiman Whitfield, Ernest Growse, Arthur Growse).

Contextual Information

Bardoc is an abandoned town in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia. It is situated between Kalgoorlie and Menzies along the Goldfields Highway. The town was gazetted on 3 June 1896. By 1908, however, no mines were in operation and the town was effectively deserted. In 1911 the police station was closed. In 1914 the areas was flooded and the few remaining residents received provision from Broad Arrow .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardoc,_Western_Australia

Year
c. 1896 - 1908
Shire of Toodyay

Shire of Toodyay

Organisation Details
View Collection
Item Feedback

Scan this QR code to open this page on your phone ->

Full size unavailable (you're already seeing this image in its highest resolution available on Collections WA)
Loading...